What you will learn in this course.
Join the incredibly talented Mick Shah for a four-part deep-dive into the basics of creating a wedding film. This course is supported by Sony UK. Whether you are just getting started in the wedding industry, or are shooting for family and friends, this course will give you an idea of what to capture, and how.
Mick has worked as filmmaker and is an award-winning visual artist. He will be walking through how to create a short wedding film from start to finish covering ceremony and reception elements. We'll be using the Sony A7S III to talk through settings and options.
5th April 2022 - 5pm - 5.30pm
Week one - introduction, planning and prep:
- Introduction to Mick Shah and the type of work he creates.
- Planning and briefing.
- Understanding weddings; what you need to know.
- Shot list.
- Summary of what's coming up.
12th April 2022 - 4pm - 4.30pm
Week two - deep dive into gear:
- Camera selection - what camera to choose and why; what settings Mick goes for; how to set up your camera up. We will be using the Sony A7S III to run through both basic and advanced settings.
- Lens selection - what you need to get the best shots on the move, keeping weight and speed in mind; think angles and location space.
- Audio - what you need and how to set up your audio correctly.
- Tripod - how to make the right decision to balance, stability and run-and-gun.
- LaCie hard drives - the importance of backing up your work.
- Accessories and extras - we'll talk through the bear minimum of kit you need, with some options to enhance your footage.
23rd April 2022 - 4pm - 4.30pm
Week three - filming the ceremony:
- Camera set up and setting choices to get a beautiful entrance piece, wide and close up angles.
- Lens choices for flexibility during the ceremony - travel light.
- Composition and angles.
- Making the most of natural light - Sony's low-light capabilities.
- Audio; do you need it?
- Your subjects - this will usually be a couple who are not used to being on camera. We'll cover how to make someone comfortable in this situation and how the discrete Sony cameras can help you hide in the crowd without compromising on quality.
- Questions - what types of content do you need to contextualise your wedding film.
- Practical shooting tutorial for both main footage and b-roll.
29th April 2022 - 4pm - 4.30pm
Week four - Week four - b-roll, the reception, and final tips:
- Camera set up and setting choices for more creative shots, slow-motion and b-roll.
- Lens choices for close up/ run-and-gun.
- What to look for to add context; composition, movement and angling.
- Scene selection for optimal results to enhance the full wedding story - what are you looking for contextualise the ceremony.
- Practical shooting.
Find more courses like this one
Subscribe to our channels for advice, inspiration, tips & tricks and community feedback.